We are delighted that you are interested in Acton Academy of Jacksonville. The application process is designed to make sure that we are the right school to serve the lifelong learning needs of your child and your family. We recognize that we ask you to dedicate time and thought to the application process. Families who thrive in the Acton community often say that they enjoyed the process, and we hope you do too.
Your preparation before meeting with us will help ensure we have a meaningful visit, and one that allows you to make the best choice for your child and your family.
A. Questions to Consider
1. What do you see as the role of a teacher in a child’s education?
2. How have you been satisfied and dissatisfied with your child’s education so far?
(Please be as specific as possible.)
3. What attracted you the most to our school?
4. How did you first find out about Acton Academy Jacksonville?
5. Do you know anyone who is familiar with Acton Academy and its affiliates?
6. Please provide your child’s name, date of birth and your contact information.
B. Thoroughly review the Acton Academy Jacksonville website.
The FAQ gives you a detailed view of our curriculum and daily program. If you want to know more, check out the Acton Academy website from Austin, TX and cofounder Laura Sandefer’s blog for Acton Academy parents.
C. Read Unschooling Rules by Clark Aldrich
Please read the book thoroughly as it outlines many of the key principles of an Acton education in small, digestible bites. In about two hours, you may finish it cover-to-cover and will have a better understanding of whether or not an Acton education is a good fit for your child.
You may also be inspired by the following:
1. A School Designed for our Children
2. Do Schools Kill Creativity
3. Jeff Sandefer TEDx Talk
4. Sugata Mitra TED Talk
5. Sal Khan TED Talk
6. Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
7. The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle
8. A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille
9. One World Schoolhouse by Sal Khan
D. When you are ready to initiate the application process, complete the online admissions form through TADs
Please answer the following:
1. What were your biggest lessons learned from the website, blog and Unschooling Rules or any of the recommended books or videos?
2. How would you describe the perfect teacher for your child?
3. How would you measure wether he or she is advancing quickly enough?
4. Do you believe that your child is a genius who deserves to find a calling that changes the world?
5. How will you continue to pursue your child’s learning adventures if there are no immediate openings at our school?
6. Is there anyone in our community whom you would like us to ask about your audition?
After receiving your responses to our questions in step two and your video, you and your child will be invited for an informal interview and readiness assessment. Please bring with you a:
1. mini-portfolio with a writing sample,
2. one recent work in math,
3. a project or assignment that your child is proud of,
4. a mini-resume with extracurricular activities that your child enjoys.
We understand that children may not have all of these elements in portfolio form, but please do your best.
Acceptance and Enrollment
You will be notified within one week after the interview of your acceptance. Afterwhich you may choose to proceed with your registration and enrollment through TADs.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. We will continue accepting applications throughout the year on a prorated basis.
- We are now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 school year (Pre K4-5th).
- Each year we will add one grade level so the oldest children can remain with us.
- Families will be notified of our admission decision within one week after your family interview .
- The registration fee for admitted families is due upon acceptance of secured placement at Acton Academy Jacksonville.
- Tuition is $800 per month for 11 months ($8,800 per year).
- Enrichment program fees are $25/day.
- In addition to tuition, families must purchase a notebook for their child. (Applies to Explorer Studio. Age-dependent and to be discussed with parents upon admission).
- There is a $500 registration fee required upon acceptance to hold a spot. This will be applied to each child’s tuition.
- A family discount of 10% will be applied to the yearly tuition of any additional enrolled sibling(s)
- An additional 10% discount to be applied to registered families for referring families who register.
- As this is our founding year, we will honor any deposits paid to other schools. If you have already registered your child(ren) at another school,
we will deduct that amount from our tuition.
- Also, we will be accepting applications beyond our start date and throughout the year (on a pro-rated basis) if space is available.
Acton Academy of Jacksonville welcomes families from diverse backgrounds who support our mission, educational philosophy, approach, and values. We admit students of any race, color, or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at Acton Academy Jacksonville. Acton Academy Jacksonville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other school-administered programs.